UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE GOING (6)
Knowing HOW to teach is important.
Will teachers be told if there is a better way of covering particular classroom issues.
Do assistant teachers have the confidence to work with teachers in a team sense that covers this need.
Teachers coming into communities need to understand the responsibility of modelling. History reveals that community leaders are keen for teachers to respect and to live according to their basic cultural precepts. To this end, the expectation is that teachers will live by their inherent cultural principles and not abrogate or water down these standards and expectations.
These things would include :
- Being time conscious and not cribbing on school day time expectations.
- Sticking to agreed school rules.
- Living by firm cultural principals of verbal respect and politeness.
- Speaking appropriately, using standard grammar and enunciation.
- Being a careful listener.
- Respecting Indigenous culture.
- Dress appropriately and respectfully; understand modest dress codes.
- Ensuring teachers have essentials before going to the community.